iPhone coming to Verizon/Sprint in 2009?
Coming in 2009?
This is the latest rumor hitting the streets, but before you Verizon users get your hopes up, remember this is just a rumor. What is this rumor exactly? As you may have guessed from the title, 9to5 Mac is reporting that come next year, Apple will be launching an iPhone designed to use CDMA networks — the network technology for Sprint and Verizon.
Now this would make sense for a couple of reasons:
- AT&T exclusivity agreement with Apple is already 2 years old — The rumor on how long this will last was between 2 and 5 years.
- Apple is letting go of some restrictions on the phone — In Hong Kong they are officially selling the iPhone 3G unlocked (albeit for $600- $700, or the same price it would cost to buy without contract here in the US). Apple also is letting the carriers control pricing of the phone, another sign they are “loosening up.”
- Apple is letting other stores beside carrier and Apple stores sell the phone– For example here in the US, you can now go to Best Buy to buy your iPhone instead of going to an Apple or AT&T store.
Now why wouldn’t Verizon work with this? Two reasons I can think of:
- Verizon initally turned down Apple– Yup in 2005 they were the first people approached by Apple for an iPhone, and turned them down (yeah I know- what in the world were they thinking!).
- The CDMA technology is a dying breed– Within the next few years, companies including Verizon and Sprint, will be going off CDMA in favor of 4th generation networks like LTE (Long Term Evolution- 4G network Verizon, AT&T and probably T-Mobile will use, very fast networks, and based on GSM- which is what AT&T and T-Mobile currently use), and XHOM (aka WiMax- very fast 4G network Sprint is using, actually started testing in Baltimore area). The 4G networks are expected to begin rolling out over the next few years (not until at least 2010 though), and that would make a iPhone for CDMA a really short term investment that might not be worth taking.
I highly doubt the iPhone will be coming to Verizon or Sprint anytime soon, but hey, you never know with Apple 😉
What are your thoughts/prayers- how bad you want the iPhone to come to Verizon or Sprint (and based on our doubts we really mean prayers 🙂 ), or are you happy with your Samsung Instinct or LG Dare and don’t need an iPhone. Let us know in the comments.
Info from 9to5Mac