First Look: Apple iPhone 4
It’s here! After a seemingly endless wait, we finally have gotten our hands on the new iPhone 4! To sum it up in one word– incredible (though I’m still not sold on it being worth waiting in line for hours for…). After using it for the past few hours, here are some of my initial thoughts, which I’ll follow up on early next week with a full review.
The iPhone 4 screen, on left, compared to the iPod touch 3rd gen– this new screen is THAT much better
- The screen is amazing— This has to be the greatest screen I’ve ever seen on a phone, and it really comes through when looking at apps like mobile Safari. Text and pictures render beautifully, with everything coming off crisp and insanely clear.
- The new design feels great in the hand— Coming off a 3G and 3GS the iPhone 4 initially feels, for lack of a better word, awkward. It’s not bad, but different from all iPhones before it. You get used to the new design however very quickly, and it actually is quite nice– it feels really sturdy in the hand, like your carrying something more than just a chunk of plastic.
- The cameras are really nice— Both cameras look to take very impressive pix. Now obviously this is very basic testing right now (just some quick shots), but the new cameras do overall look a lot nicer. Pix in low light are much better even without the new flash (which in my brief use I found to be only so-so. It’s nice to have, but not really spectacular in terms of quality), and the 5 megapixel camera on the back takes some really surprisingly, and refreshingly, nice shots.
- It’s fast!— While it’s nowhere near the speed jump as the 3GS was to the 3G and first iPhone, but multitasking on the iPhone 4 does seem to run much faster and smoother on here than on the 3GS (particularly in apps like the camera where shots are taken almost instantly).
- The new antennas make AT&T a LOT faster— While I can’t yet talk about phone quality, I can say this much about AT&T and the new iPhone 4 antennas that now surround the phone– the 3G network speed is now crazy fast. I’m consistently seeing 2 megabits or more download and over 1.5 megabits upload. In simple terms– the 3G internet on the iPhone has gotten much, much faster (of course, this may also be an AT&T improvement as well, but when I ran the same test on my old 3GS it showed the same impressive download speeds, but much slower upload speeds– and I mean much slower like only .25 megabits). Browsing the web on my iPhone has never been easier or faster.
- Speakers are much louder— This is something I really am happy to see, as one of the big low points of the iPhone 3G and 3GS to me was the very inconsistent speaker quality. On those iPhones it was pretty much hit or miss to see if it works well, but on the iPhone 4– whether on calls or watching YouTube, the speaker is really loud, really clear and finally really good.
So those are just some quick thoughts on the new iPhone 4, keep it peeled here for our full review in the coming days.
And any other readers out there who’ve gotten their iPhones– what you think? You think it was worth the wait? Let us know in the comments.
Big thanks to my bro, Akiva, for helping take some pix.