Sony Officially Takes Wraps Off Xperia Play, Coming to Verizon in “Early Spring”
Wow MWC is off to a crazy start. Today, as promised, Sony Ericsson took the full wraps off the Xperia Play/PlayStation Phone, and wow is it looking better and better. Just as Wirefly leaked last week, Verizon will be the lucky carrier to get this awesome phone in “early Spring” (they just don’t give up at all do they? First it was 4 4G phones at CES, next the iPhone 4 and now this? And it’s only February!).
As for specs? Wirefly looked again to be 100% on the mark, with the official word being that this beast will come with:
- 4 inch high-resolution screen– This fits in with all the other rumors we’ve heard about the phone, and with a resolution of 854×480 expect games to look really awesome on here.
- Android 2.3 Gingerbread out of the box– Yes, this will be running the latest and greatest of Android for phones which is definitely something to get excited about because it’s the best version of Android for phones ever released (faster, updated Google Apps, support for game controllers *cough* *cough*)
- 1 GHZ processor with 512 MB of RAM– To make sure all those PlayStation games run smoothly.
- GPS and WiFi– With support for WiFi N networks and the ability to use the phone as a portable WiFi hotspot.
- 5 megapixel back camera with flash and HD video recording with second front camera for video chat– Just like the iPhone 4, Nexus S, Samsung Epic 4G etc.
- 8 GB microSD card included in the box
Oh, and the phone will also ship with one “legendary” PlayStation One game (title not yet announced), with an additional 50 games available at launch (including Guitar Hero, Assassin’s Creed, and Dead Space to name a few) from a whole bunch of publishers (with some current smartphone games already out there getting special extra levels on the Xperia Play).
Still no price and exact release date– but wow is this turning into some awesome year for anyone on Verizon. New video of the Xperia Play in action after the break.
Posted on February 13, 2011, in Cell Phones, Video Games and tagged Android, breaking, Cell Phones, Google, mwc, mwc 2011, playstation phone, psp, sony, sony ericsson, verizon, verizon wireless, xperia play. Bookmark the permalink. 1 Comment.